Re: [TenTec] OT SWR VS Power Loss

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT SWR VS Power Loss
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:29:12 +0100

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
> I never said the resonance condition included changing the radiation
> resistance to 50 ohms. Only that that the phase angle of the load
> becomes zero, e.g. current and voltage are in phase at the feed point or
> alternatively that the energy stored in the inductance equals the energy
> stored in the capacitance and that they swap every half cycle.
Jerry,

Sorry - I can't agree.

The tuner never made the phase angle of my load zero - the current
through the resistor/capacitor combination, and the voltage across them
were still out of phase, even when the tuner matched the load to 50
Ohms. What did become zero was the phase angle of the combined tuner/load.

I think we're playing with words, but I think it's misleading to use
words which suggest that the tuner has in some way "altered the load" -
it hasn't.

Steve