Re: [TenTec] OT: Ground Radials at Tower Base

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Ground Radials at Tower Base
From: Jim WA9YSD <wa9ysd@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 17:09:42 -0700 (PDT)
I need to know why some one said that adding radials would reduce noise on
receive.  You can view this on  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9a1mAAtSbE
adds a different point of view of things.
 I have read about tuning towers with stubs tied to the tower
to load it, and have know people who done it.  Since the wires are in
the ground and insulated from the earth might be a hint he is doing
something ealse.  I would have liked to see what his noise levels were and
seeing the radials switched in and out of the system.  They said what it was
but seeing is believing.

friend of mine hung a stub off the side of the tower and tuned it.  He
claimed he was able to tune out some of the noise that the tower was
picking up when he was on 160M.  I played with it and found that by
changing the tuning point I changed the flow of current on the station
ground.  I then baught a ground tuner from MFJ and played with it.  I
arced the cap in the Ground tuner while transmitting.  I did not notice
what the noise level was doing.  I may have to drag it out and play with it
again and this
time attach it to wires laying on the ground attached tuner to tower
ground and tune them.  May be a shorted piece of coax cable and
insulate the end and short the end and see what happes.  Also try
tieing the tuner at the end of the cable and see what happens.  I got
nothing better to do.

You 160M DXers know more about this than us high banders.  80M is my favorite
band but at this location, causes way to many problems.

Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD