Re: [TenTec] Regarding conversations with TT engineer(s)

To: lee berman <lberman@alumni.neu.edu>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Regarding conversations with TT engineer(s)
From: Raymond Perkins <w5vpu@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:33:17 -0700 (PDT)
Good for you. I don't understand (perhaps I am too old to "get it") why a
customer of a company believes he has the inalienable right to demand the
company do precisely what he says he wants when he wants it.

  I've always understood you take what a company offers if you want it. And if
you want it different, you go somewhere else where you can find that.

  The customer is not the President, the CEO, the engineering staff, or the
major stockholder. He is only a customer buying a product. The demandedness of
some Ten Tec devotees is strange to me. If they know better how to run a
company, then let them build their own company and do it. I am just about ready
to give up on the egocenticism of the large portion of hams I have run into.
Where did all this come from? Did they bring their CB mentality with them when
they decided to become a real ham?

  On the other hand, it always takes two to tango. Has Ten Tec played into this
dance and now no one knows how, or is willing, to stop the music and start
another record? If so, are they 'fraid of what might happen? As I know Ten Tec,
Ham stuff is only a small portion of their production line, not its main
product. Don't the whiners understand Ten Tec could with one ax cut stop all
ham radio production and still remain solvent?

lee berman <w1idz@yahoo.com> wrote:
  In my 34-year career I've been an engineer and engineering manager at both
large and small companies.

I applaud the open -door policy that TenTec has tried to maintain for hams, but
think it's time to change the policy.

Jack, if you're listening, now that there's a web page that we can look to for
information, and Scott has been made de-facto "point man" for info on new
releases, changes, modifications, etc. Tell the engineers to stop answering
customer questions of that nature, and defer them to Scott or someone else
designated as PIO.

Besides "distressing" and "upsetting" some customers, it probably puts some
emotional hurt on the engineer, who gives out info that is correct as he knows
it at the time, but for unforeseen reasons turns out to be inaccurate.

It seems obvious to me, after reading some of these posts, that some in the ham
community would prefer to be uninformed rather than misinformed.

I'm curious to see if the post-Boxboro contingent has similar stories to post
to those posted post-Dayton.

Triton IV, 580 Delta, Omni VI, Jupiter owner