Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 and Xlog keyer

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 2 and Xlog keyer
From: "John B. Egger" <john_egger@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 21:31:33 -0400
Ed wrote:
> John B. Egger wrote:
>

>>> # Default for linux: parport0 with ppdev driver
>>> DEVICE="parport0"
>>>
>> I tried editing DEVICE to ttyS0, the serial port that handles the
>> Orion's serial cable, but this had no apparent effect on Xlog's keyer
>> behavior.
>>

> Your answer is right there in front of you. At boot the default device
> is parport0 or for MS users the parallel port. You need to edit this
> line as root to default to your desired port. If its com1 then this has
> to read ttyS0. Xlog with cwdaemon works well. There is more inforamtion
> not only in the docs, but the man pages as well.
>
> Ed W3NR

Ed, as I wrote, I did edit DEVICE to ttyS0 with no effect. I have read
every doc, README, TODO, changelog, etc. document that I can find using
a file search for "cwdaemon," and have either tried what is suggested
without success, or do not understand what is advised. (man cwdaemon
duplicates information from one of the readme's, as far as I can tell.)
If your Xlog and cwdaemon "works well" with the O2, please tell us about
your connection and your software edits!

Dave, I think you're right... my reading of the O2 manual is that
external keying is done through the Aux/IO cable and the computer's
sound card.

Jerry, thanks for your comment... there are schematics for both parallel
and serial port cwdaemon connections among the documentation. I've
looked at them, but I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary to build one
of these devices. Maybe it is. I'm still looking forward to having
someone who actually keys his O2 using Xlog to explain how he does it.

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592