Re: [TenTec] Operating AM with the Centurion amplifier

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Operating AM with the Centurion amplifier
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 10:44:34 -0600
On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 12:13 -0400, Mark DeBord wrote:
> I am using the Orion II and the Centurion amplifier. I enjoy operating AM on
> occasion with this set-up. I load the amp at full output (using CW), but then
> reduce my drive on the rig to only produce total carrier output of the amp to
> about 150 watts.
> Can I increase my rig's drive to produce more from the amp without a concern
> (like 250 watts or so)? How long should I limit my keydown times? Do I need
> to add additional cooling with an external fan sitting on top or something
> like that? Any suggestions is appreciated.
> I found a DX-60B at this year's Ten-Tec hamfest and plan on playing with it
> driving the amp too.
>
> Any suggestions is much appreciated.
>
> Mark KA4ICK

Neglecting thermal problems, you can only run a linear on AM with a
carrier level equal to 1/4 the peak output because on modulation peaks
AM has 4 times the power of its carrier.

The DX-60B will confuse things because it has "controlled carrier" where
the carrier level is lowered without audio.

You still can't run more peak power out on AM than the amp will run CW
and not have distortion. You can check for that with a scope, just
looking at the envelope.

73, Jerry, K0CQ