Re: [TenTec] Operating AM with the Centurion amplifier

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Operating AM with the Centurion amplifier
From: "Dave, K2DP" <k2dp@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 12:48:26 -0500
Mark,

Interesting that you post this question today as I ran my Centurion on AM
for the first time yesterday morning ! I have a Yaesu FT-2000 and the
Centurion (left over from my Omni VI Plus station) and gave it a shot on 75
mtrs AM yesterday morning with very nice results. I loaded the amp at full
power, then backed off the drive from the FT-2000 untill I had about 200
watts carrier output, then touched up the tuning on the amp. It seemed to
work very nicely and the audio got good reports. I didn't worry too much
about the key down time limit, although, I typically probably did not exceed
3-4 minutes. I watched the 3-500Z's and there was a slight glow, but nothing
unacceptable, so I am sure you can run 150-200 watts of carrier for several
minutes.

However, from a fun perspective, it's still more fun to run my Johnson
Ranger I and SX-101A on AM, hi hi !

Have fun and hope to catch you on 40 or 75 AM as conditions improve for the
winter.

73,
Dave, K2DP
St. Louis