Re: [TenTec] (no subject)

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] (no subject)
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:18:35 -0800
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 05:04:03 -0800 (PST), JOHN wrote:

>Can anyone give me an idea what they are using for a power supply
>for the Hercule 2

I asked this question when I bought my Herc II several years ago,
and I got several replies from guys who were running from a big
battery that was floated from a decent power supply.

The key to successful operation of the Herc II at full output is
maintaining a relatively stiff supply voltage as close as
practical to 13.8 volts, and running it into a well-matched load.
I use Ten Tec 229 and 238 tuners.

It's also important that it be well air-cooled. If it gets too
hot, protection circuitry will shut it down. The fan in my amp
didn't run when I bought it used, and I never got around to
troubleshooting it. As a temporary expedient, I rigged a muffin
fan to blow on it, and that's been sufficient to let me run heavy
duty cycle contesting.

Because I use the amp for serious contesting. I'm being VERY
conservative and using two Astron RS70s with their voltage sensing
terminals strapped together. For more casual operation, a single
RS70 would probably work be fine. I'm also running short big
copper between the power supplies and the amp.

I just loaned my Herc II to the P29NI DXpedition crew, who used it
to light up New Guinea on 160M. They said it worked very well. I
don't know how they powered it. I warned AD6E about the fan, and
he jury-rigged a replacement before hitting the road with it.

73,

Jim K9YC