Re: [TenTec] Orion Firmware

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Firmware
From: <jmiller1706@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:19:11 -0500
Well so far I like my O-II so I will be patient.  TT has a number of options:
(1) Subcontract out to the original SW designer for after hours work, assuming
he isn;t excluded from doing this by his new employer;
(2) Subcontract out to his new employer, or to a company that specializes in
DSP software,  company to company;
(3) Hire someone off the street who can ramp up the learning curve necessary to
take the software forward;
(4) Be sure the software is completely documented (design, DSP theory and code)
and eliminate the risk of one employee becoming "indispensible."
(5) Make the O-II software open source, like Linux, and let the community
develop the market;
(6) Do nothing with the O-II, start planning for the O-III.
(7) - other?
There are a lot of small DSP software houses that could take it over.  But one
has to wonder if TT really wants to keep investing in developing and issuing
updates free of charge from now on.  Charging users for major updates could
offset the cost of maintaining the software.
Just my $.02 worth.  I still like the O-II!
Jim N4BE