Re: [TenTec] Centurion 422 Bias Circuit Solved

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion 422 Bias Circuit Solved
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 19:28:18 -0600
I took a look at mine again this evening in the CW mode.  Actually the amp
doesn't care what mode is used.  I slowed the QSK Delay from the transceiver
to better observe the condition of the amp during the "non character" mode.
Otherwise what would be the normal RX period between characters if in full
QSK.   During the non-character mode with the extended QSK delay time, as
long as the transceiver is in transmit mode, although not producing RF, the
amp in also in the transmit mode and idle current of about 150 ma exists.
This equates to about 420 watts plate dissipation plus filament dissipation.
The remainder of the time the dissipation is limited to the filament heat.
I consider 100 to 150 ma of plate current normal for the mode, being SSB or
CW, for an amp of this design.

 I do recall that some older amps, both Tentec and non-Tentec,  had idle
current at any time they were turned on.  Yes, this produces heat and not
desirable.

The SN on my amp is 12A10065 and was purchased by me from Tentec.  My notes
show was received 3/1/96.

73
Bob, K4TAX