Re: [TenTec] Orion/Orion2 Auto-tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion/Orion2 Auto-tuner
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:40:17 -0500
Bob (K4TAX) said:
"My solution is a 238 tuner after the amp.  Using an antenna bridge to set it
up, it will match most any normal antenna that I can throw at it.  I gave up
on narrow range auto tuners long ago.
Actually, the tuning range of the Orion auto-tuner is 6-800  (Approx 10:1)
ohms. While
the 238A is capable of 5-3000 ohms (And 1500W), the Orion auto-tuner is not your
"run of the mill" "trimmer auto-tuner." Tuned, per the manual, really just
means the tuning
process is over. It really doesn't predict an adequate SWR in all cases.
73, Merle - W0EWM