Re: [TenTec] More Omni A B and C questions

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] More Omni A B and C questions
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 17:45:37 -0600
On Sat, 2009-03-14 at 19:20 -0400, wb8vge wrote:
> Boys and Girls....
>
> The broken Omni D is moving right along.
>
> Receiver is working while the TX still is kaput.
>
> However I just wonder why
>
>  why would the s-meter drop when switching in the 500 hz
> filter? One would think the opposite would happen.

Insertion loss of the narrow filter is greater than the loss of the wide
filter. So front end and IF gain is lower with the narrow filter. That's
so pronounced that in some later radios, the narrow filter slot included
a gain stage to make up the gain loss.

> I have yet to put a counter on the BFO and carrier oscillator to see if they
> are on freq.
>
> or am I chasing my tail as this could be normal?

Tune around a carrier on a known frequency to check the positioning of
those oscillators.

> mike

73, Jerry, K0CQ