Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus NR

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus NR
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:09:31 -1000
Hi Jim,

     If you don't have the owners manual for the Omni VI, you should get
one. Ten-Tec sells the copyrighted manual for a reasonable price. You
said "NR" and not "NB", so I guess you mean the "noise reduction" and
not the "noise blanker". The noise blanker is pretty straight forward,
and the schematics in the manual are detailed enough to follow and to
troubleshoot from. The noise reduction uses six big IC chips. I doubt
you'll ever get a schematic for the big 2105 DSP processor chip. Maybe
it is possible to troubleshoot this system. I'd be interested to know
how to go about it. The receive audio in the Omni VI (with DSP NR)
passes through at least part of the DSP system, all the time, whether
you are using DSP NR or not. I have read many complaints about that.
Many people say the Omni VI has terrible receive audio. I have not found
that to be consistent with my own experience.

DE N6KB