Re: [TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up?
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:03:34 EDT
Yes, absolutely, the better the ground system you have, the better this (or
any vertical antenna) will work.  But don't be scared off -- just use the
best ground system your QTH will allow.  In my old NJ QTH I used an  80-meter
dipole on 160 as a "T" but my 1/3-acre lot had no room for  radials.  So, I
used
the municipal water system as a ground (yes, the pipes  were all copper).  Was
it perfect? No, but I did make DXCC on 160 from  there with a barefoot FT-102.

73, Ray

In a message dated 3/18/2009 3:21:25 P.M. GMT Standard Time,
k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com writes:

On Wed,  18 Mar 2009 09:09:23 EDT, Rsoifer@aol.com wrote:

>You might   try tying the ends of the feedline together  and feeding it as
>a  single wire on 160.

That is a VERY VERY VERY good idea. I have done  that in two locations, and
it works spectacularly well. You WILL need  radials, the more the merrier,
length not critical, more is better.

You're having problems with the antenna as a dipole on 160 because it  is
very short for that band.

73,

Jim Brown  K9YC