Re: [TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem on 160 meters, Whats up?
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:32:56 -0500
In reading the description {http://www.palstar.com/at5k.php} and looking at
the schematic, I consider the tuner in the "balanced" output mode to
actually be a matching network that is unbalanced above ground.  It is not a
balanced tuner in that the elements, the L and C values, are not equal in
each side of the balanced line.  The switch that selects balanced simply
lifts the output low side of the inductor above ground.  For a truly
balanced tuner, see the info from Rich Measures.  He goes into quite a bit
of detail on the topic.

I have built a balanced tuner, being a L network, {I don't care for T
networks}  using two roller inductors and two variable C's. I use a RF choke
operating at 50 ohms on the input as well so that it always sees 50 ohms in
and 50 ohms out.

Although the Palstar is a "rock" in their terms, clearly it is a well built
tuner that will handle the power as described.  Likely the fact that it is
not a balanced tuner and it is being connected to a balanced load is the
reason for the "havoc" caused when running the amp.

73
Bob, K4TAX