Re: [TenTec] Argosy II Questions

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy II Questions
From: Ed - K9EW <k9ew57@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 17:21:22 -0500
Hi Bill,

I also have a spur near 21.320, so I'd guess it's normal.

Rebuilding the PTO is actually pretty easy.  Getting it out is usually
the hardest part because it's different for every radio.  It so
happens I did the PTO rebuild for the Argosy II, and the removal
directions are on my website at www.k9ew.us, under Projects / Argosy
525 PTO Rebuild.  The rebuild information has been well documented by
Monty (N5ESE), and I have a link to that in the removal directions.

You'll get all kinds of suggestions for the type of lubrication to
use, so I'll throw my 2 cents into the pot now...  I've used synthetic
grease which will probably not harden for many years, but it is on the
thick side and the tuning reflects that.  I've also used white lithium
grease which is thinner, and the tuning is easier with that
lubrication.  Something I'll try in my next PTO build is bicycle chain
oil.  That has been recommended by several people, and I think it's
worth a try.

As for alignment of the PTO, I'd stick closely to the instructions in
the manual.  There's only one adjustment, so it's pretty
straightforward.

As long as you're digging into the Argosy II, I'd recommend adding the
grounding spring for the PTO shaft (also on my website under "PTO
Tuning Knob Sensitivity...").  It works very well, and eliminates the
sometimes annoying shift in frequency as your fingers get close to the
metal skirt on the tuning knob.

Hope this helps.

73,
ed - k9ew