Re: [TenTec] Orion RTTY Interface

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion RTTY Interface
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 21:50:12 -0500
With the new breed of radios that do have LINE INPUT and LINE OUTPUT
provisions, usually only audio to and from the computer sound card is all
that's needed.  The Windows mixer will allow one to configure the in's and
out's correctly for needed signals.  The AUX connector on the back of the
radio has all the signals present.  With these radios the VOX switching is
as fast as QSK and therefore is most adequate to handle the data modes.

Please do not connect the output of the computer sound card direct to the
microphone input.  There is way too much signal for this input to handle.  I
have one motto: "If it is not a microphone, do not connect it to the
microphone input".   Some say they can reduce the level from the sound card
such that the mike input is not overloaded but be assured, the S/N ratio
goes to pot when this is done and RF issues and ground loops due to the low
level of signal are likely to abound.

73
Bob, K4TAX