Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Model 100 CAP transceiver

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Model 100 CAP transceiver
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@gti.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 22:46:19 -0400
Mike:

First of all, How are you feeling? I hope that you are on the mend.

As I recall from my reading, CAP radios must conform to the new NTIA 20
Hz frequency tolerance requirement.  This makes most amateur-type and
all older equipment, including the Ten-Tec 100 and 150 and the Heathkit
HW-18 unusable for CAP, and MARS, too, I guess.  CAP  bought Motorola
MICOM-2 radios. I don't hear anything on the CAP frequencies where there
were once nightly regional or state nets. I suspect that they have
greatly scaled back their HF operations, probably because the new radios
are too expensive for small squadrons and individuals.

You can search the www.  I found this: https://ntc.cap.af.mil/

And this: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=739.0;wap2

CAP may not publish their frequencies any more, but there are enough
frequency directories and web sites that still list them.

Now, what else can you do with the radio? If I had a Ten-Tec 150 or a
Heath HW-18 I'd crystal it up for the 60 meter band.  If Ten-Tec used
the same mixing scheme as their other radios, perhaps adding an outboard
5 to 5.5 MHz VFO would give you coverage of several bands.  You could
also crystal it up  for the popular monitoring nets,  WWV, and aviation
weather.  The only problem is if you set up more than a couple of
channels the cost of crystals will exceed what the rig is worth.
(Listening to WWV can get pretty boring, like watching the test patterns
on early Saturday morning TV before the cartoon shows go on. I remember
that my dad used to use those test patterns to adjust the linearity on
the TV.  Guess I'm dating myself).

By the way, did Ten-Tec ever produce the Model 120 HF packset? It was in
  the older catalog alongside the model 150.
                                                73,

                                                Bob WB2VUF