Re: [TenTec] RF Ground

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Ground
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:59:36 -0500
Jim and I occasionally agree and then there's times that we don't see
eye-to-eye on a topic.  Agreed, his tutorial is very good.  I suggest that
all should read it.

One very common item that I've found and observed with the "pin 1" issue it
the fact that folks do not acknowledge the difference between ground and
shield and the application of each.  The rule I've always followed is shield
should never be positioned as a current carrying conductor.  Thus in audio,
shield must not be connected at both ends but one end only.   In a balanced
audio line there should then be 3 conductors surrounded by a shield.   Many
use 2 conductors plus a shield and connect the shield incorrectly at both
ends so that it does serve as a current carrying conductor.  The shield
should be connected to ground at one end only.  Thus the convention is;
audio HI, audio LO, ground, and shield.  Now, this system can be operated as
a balanced system or as an unbalanced system without concern for ground
loops.

As to coax radiating, if it does then it will also receive.  If it is in the
area within the station then the noise generated by computers and switching
supplies near or on the desk will likely be received as well.

73
Bob, K4TAX