Re: [TenTec] RF Ground

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RF Ground
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 18:13:03 -0400
I don't feel that this is a particularly good example for the following
reason.

If, and only if, the ground point at the radio where the coax is terminated
to the radio is an excellent RF ground, then any current flowing on the
outside of the coax will be shunted to ground at that point.  As it is an
excellent ground, impedance is low, and voltage will thus be low as well
.... ideally zero of course.

Now I grant you that excellent RF grounds are extremely rare.

I just don't think they are a BAD thing, in the event you are lucky enough
to have one.

I agree with other posters who have emphasised that lightning protection
must be done OUTSIDE the shack.  A different issue altogether.

I also agree with other posters who have reiterated that ALL grounds must be
bonded together....a requirement of both Code and safety, not to mention
ground potential differences leading to annoying ground loops.

As to Pin 1 problems, they exist sometimes.  But remember there are many
additional problems out there in the world.  As the seer once said....if the
only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.  Keep a
broad perspective on the potential sources of problems.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ