Re: [TenTec] OT: cleaners, etc

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: cleaners, etc
From: "CSM\(r\) Gary Huber" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:07:40 -0500
I've found the SS clamps to be a very good replacement compression clamp for
aluminum tubing joint splices even if the screw is not SS.  HyGain used a
plated bolt / nut with a "band"; it frequently failed during disassembly
requiring a replacement reorder.  Butternut and others have used a bolt, lock
washer, and nut through holes drilled through both tubes (mechanically weaker).
 I've not seen a hose clamp compression tubing splice fail....

In over 35 years of installing, repairing, and replacing aluminum (tube)
antennas, it's been my experience that aluminum tube joints cleaned with steel
wool, fine sand paper, or emery cloth, and alcohol (soaked clean rag), doped
with Blackburn Compound (or similar) will provide a great low resistant joint
which can be easily disassembled 5, 10, or 20 years later. The stainless steel
hose clamps' screw may be corroded, but the aluminum tubes can still be pulled
apart even though the hose clamp is destroyed in the process of releasing the
tension / compression.

Best regards,

CSM(r) Gary Huber - AB9M
9679 Heron Bay Rd