Re: [TenTec] parts not SS

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>, Ten Tec List <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] parts not SS
From: Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 02:27:30 +0000
Yep, I have Scotch 33 and 88 and the double sided sticky Scotch.
Used them all in cold Ky and hot Fla.
Results is as I stated.
ScotchKoat will crack unprotected, never tried
it under tape (tested cold and hot).
New CoaxSeal will be there as installed
for 16 yrs if covered by tape (tested Fla).
As Dr. Johnson sez, the last couple of turns
of any tape must be done after cleanly cutting
(can use any knife or scissors, not teeth) and
not pulling at all.  Never end the taping by
pulling until it breaks, of course.
Silicone, the type supplied in the box with
Cushcraft beams, develops acid and the hardening
of the outside first keeps the stuff safely inside
the seal and directly on ur fittings.  I poured
acid out of my coax plugs after 4 yrs in Illinois.
However, water incursion will occur almost always
over the long term, but Dr. Johnson is right on
in support of the heat shrink with melting goop
inside--great.
73, Dr. Charles H. Harpole, Ph.D. NYU 1976

Charles Harpole
k4vud@hotmail.com