Re: [TenTec] Re(Ten TEC) Palstar Tuner

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re(Ten TEC) Palstar Tuner
From: Darrell Bellerive <va7to@yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 10:32:22 -0700
A balun on the output side of an unbalanced tuner is a compromise that allows
a tuner to be built cheaper and work with both balanced and unbalanced
antennas.

A balun will always have some loss, and more reactive loads will tend to
increase the loss. The loss shows up as heat, but the amount of heat noticed
is also related to the size of the balun. A physically larger balun will
distribute the heat across it's larger surface area and therefore will appear
to be cooler than a smaller balun dissipating the same amount of heat. So a
large balun may indeed be just as lossy as a smaller balun, but still feel
cooler.

So, be sure to compare apples to apples. The only real way to test the
efficiency of a balun in to measure power in and out, or measure the
temperature change in the air in a controlled chamber. The efficiency will
also vary with the resistance and reactance of the load.

73,
Darrell
VA7TO

<chinson1@mindspring.com>wrote: