Re: [TenTec] ORION

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:23:34 -0400
Any fairly good dynamic microphone would work.   Virtually
any microphone will handle a bandwidth of 200 - 2800 Hz,
which is all the rig uses, anyway.   Better microphones tend
to have wide frequency coverage - but nearly microphones
costing more than $20 have good linearity well beyond the
vocal frequencies of approx 150 - 5000 Hz  (very rough
figures)  and be clear, and have flat response through the
required range, with sufficient signal strength.

The following list is just for example.  But ANY good mic
should work well.

Shure SM-58 - every live band has one...  approx $90

AudioTechnica AT-30  - widely avail and good buy approx $30

AudioTechnica MB-1000  (kinda hot with strong
     signal for soft talkers)   really good buy!   approx $40

Shure 512 headset - $95 - I use this one myself

Sennheiser e-815,  835, and any other Evolution Series mic -
$55 - upwards

Shure PG - any thing dynamic not requiring phantom voltage -
Approx $45 - $55

Shure 550 L  communications mic  approx $65
or
Shure 522 Desktop Microphone  approx $85
        (hams like these as they are tailored for
        clear vocals on radio gear by design)

Shure 104 handheld commo mic - approx $50

Almost any model dynamic mic from NADY,
      Electrovoice,  AKG, Rode, Behringer,
     Sennheiser, Audix, and more...

and
ANY HEIL MIC regardless of price.

I am not a fan of Heil microphones any more than some other
brands (I am more a Sennheiser guy...) but Heil makes good
stuff, at fairly reasonable prices,  and Bob Heil STILL
answers company email on weekends and gives personal
replies, and stands by what he sells.  So while I don't buy
his stuff,  I could.   I have a Heil PR0-20 microphone which
I was given when I used to write microphone product reviews
for vendors in another technology field, and it is an
excellent vocal microphone.   It is a particularly handsome
piece with silver and gold toned hardware on a black handle
- very expensive looking with out a high price.  Maybe that
would be a good on.   Personally, using a gold sputtered
large diaphragm studio condenser microphone, with a source
of phantom power is, in my view, overkill - you are only
going to use 2800 Hz sof signal and it will be processed by
the rig on a single side band, so (in my view) you won't get
Hi Fi out of anything - what you NEED is just good solid,
clean, balanced and flat signal response into the rig.   And
I THINK ANY decent microphone will do that.  (Hoping we do
not rekindle the old debate over Hi Fi gear in the shack...
not my intention to go there... )

So on a $30 budget I would get the AudioTechnica MB-1000L or
AudioTechnica AT-30 microphone - and if had $85 to spend,  I
would get a Sennheiser e-835,   and if I was spending $150,
I would consider the Heil Pro-20.  Again, that Heil with
black, silver and gold looks REALLY good next to a TenTec
rig - I can send you photos of these if you like with them
next to my TT gear... ;-)

Good luck.