Re: [TenTec] Burghardt amateur center

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Burghardt amateur center
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:13:38 -0600
On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 14:45 -0700, Jim Brown K9YC wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:40:46 -0600, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
>
> >actually there is Down East Microwave making transverters (so the HF
> >side has to have FM if that's your interest) as well as Elecraft.
>
> Yes, and this is first class gear.
>
> Someone just posted to the NCCC email list preliminary info for a
> new ICOM transceiver that claims decent VHF/UHF performance. Some of
> our members thought that it might be interesting for use in a Rover
> station (i.e., a mobile station for VHF/UHF contesting).

I have an IC-211. Icom is not a nice four letter word in this hamshack.

> http://www.ab4oj.com/icom/ic9100/main.html
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

I have been pleased with the performance of my FT-857D on VHF for a few
years now. Its helped by a CW mechanical filter, might be helped by a
SSB mechanical filter. I liked the first one so much, I bought another
one at a hamfest. That one needs computer alignment though because some
one did a super master reset and zeroed all the factory alignment
settings. Its compact, convenient to operate, and its noise blanker
works which the IC706 can't claim. Its so handy for VHF multimode
contacts that with the right setup, I can work SSB or CW with no changes
but to grab the microphone for SSB or start sending for CW. It can't get
simpler than that! Last June, I found that didn't work exactly right on
the bands using LSB, but it does fine on USB bands. When listening to
LSB, it still shifted the carrier frequency up, which was then out of
the passband of the station I was calling. Previous Yaesu VHF/UHF
multimodes like the FT726 and FT736 (which I also own) were not nearly
so user friendly when changing modes. They also changed receiver
frequency causing loss of copy more often than not. But they saved
changing the displayed frequency. I use the 726 on packet these days and
the 736 for 220 and maybe if I fix it on 1296 though I think I should
give up on it and go to DEMI or DB6NT transverters possibly using my
Corsair II that I bought for such an application.

73, Jerry, K0CQ