Re: [TenTec] OT (that is Off Topic and Old Timers) BC-610

To: <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT (that is Off Topic and Old Timers) BC-610
From: John McAlpine IV <kz4b@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 00:29:56 -0400
Further to Ken's excellent comments below we add the following:1)  During and
shortly after World War 2  the original BC610A through the latest (till then)
Model BC 610 E (which was a pre-war "Art-Deco" Design transmitter with "rounded
edges" and cast iron "open-frame' transformers) was paired with the
120VAC-powered Model BC 342 iron chassis Army Version of the (RCA Designed) 28
VDC-powered BC348 aluminum chassis Army Air Corps receiver (used in all heavy
bombers like the B17) in the mobile van SCR299 CW/AM/RTTY Set.  Because of the
high output power capability (especially for the time) of 600 watts CW & 325
watts (1300 watts PEP) carrier AM--General George Patton praised the
hard-to-jam BC610 as being on par with the M1 Garrand Rifle in helping to win
the war.  Many BC610's were paired with the then "top of the line"
Hallicrafters SX 28  Receiver at fixed "headquarters" locations.2) Well after
WW 2 and during the Korean War the BC610 F,G & H Models with a new "clean" more
 odern "square cornered box" design, more modular internal construction and
"potted" transformers were paired with sophisticated High (frequency) stability
Collins R-388/51j1 receivers.  The BC610 was superseded after the Korean War by
the similarly-powered Barker & Williamson T368 (Eimac 4-250 tetrode in final
amp).  It was fully band-switched 80 thru 10 meters.  The T368 was paired with
ever newer Collins receivers as they became available culminating in the R390A
and 51j4 Models.  The T368 is a more modern tetrode vs triode amplifier design
and is physically even more "robust" than the BC610--but in "stock" form has
less AM fidelity (and some claim less electronic reliability)than the BC610.
John McAlpine/KZ4B