Re: [TenTec] Head-Phone volume in Orion2

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Head-Phone volume in Orion2
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 09:04:29 -0700
On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:36:27 -0400, Richards wrote:

>That is the reason I often recommend a good, but not always
>the best microphones for ham use.   Consider how the Shure
>communications mics are of limited range by design and they
>have a real good following.

There's a discussion of this in my tutorial on Ham Interfacing
(computers to radios, mics to radios, etc.). and in an appendix on
audio in my RFI Tutorial.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Mics like the Shure 444 use pre-emphasis to compensate for the
audio bandwidth narrowing effects of TX and RX filters. It's a
very good idea.  Some ham rigs include adjustable or selectable
equalization (a fancy word for frequency response modification) to
do this pre-emphasis on a flat mic. The FT1000-series rigs are an
example. The Elecraft K3 has built-in multiband equalizers that
can be adjusted separately for TX and RX.

Because I work in pro audio, I own a bunch of decent mics.  For
many years,I've used an EV RE16, a very nice pro mic, with all my
ham rigs. It's quite flat, but the Ham Interfacing tutorial shows
how it can be optimized for ham use. It worked quite well with my
Omni V.

Recently, I saw a post to another reflector recommending the
relatively inexpensive Yamaha MH500 boom mic headset. Two members
of our contest club bought one, and the preliminary reviews are
quite positive. Both of the reviewers are engineers and serious
contesters. It should work quite well with Ten Tec radios with the
right connectors.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC