Re: [TenTec] Omni C help....

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni C help....
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 20:25:35 -0600
On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 12:59 -0700, Jerry Kitterman wrote:
> I just received a new dc connector for the back of the Omni. Now, just how do
> I go about removing the old one and installing the new? The leads are so
> short you could never cut them. Can a hot soldering iron heat the tips of the
> connector pins and melt the solder that way? Of course I know it would make a
> mess of the plastic connector but it's trash anyway. Also, it would be very
> hard to cut through the connector since it seems to be pretty tough.
> Inquiring minds need to know!!  Tnx/73
>
> Jerry  W9CTB

Its NOT a Molex, its an AMP. Different pin dimensions. The pins are
probably crimped to the wires, not soldered. The pins release from the
shells like Molex pins though, but probably take different tools from
being different diameters. You may find the wires beat up enough by the
first crimping to not take another crimp well, but they might solder.
You might have to replace the wires all the way to where they connect to
the PC boards.

73, Jerry, K0CQ