Re: [TenTec] Ten-tec 962 ps problem problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-tec 962 ps problem problem
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 20:35:25 -0600
On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 20:54 -0400, Phillip Zminda wrote:
> Over the weekend my 962 supply for my Omni VI blew the ac fuse every
> time I turned it on. I expected that the bridge rectifier could be the
> problem. When I opened it up, I found that the bolt holding down the
> filter board was loose leaving the bridge without a heat sink. I
> haven't  unsoldered the bridge but expect that it's the likely
> problem. Has anyone else experienced blown fuse problems with the 962?
> Also, is this a part I can but from Ten-Tec without buying an entire
> board?

Its probably a standard part. Square, metal case with spade lugs for the
four connections? Tentec probably has the part. Mouser probably has the
part.

Diodes tend to fail shorted when overheated. So its a good chance that's
what is taking the fuse, though it could be a failure of a pass
transistor insulated mounting or a bad electrolytic filter capacitor. Or
the crow bar shorted or getting too sensitive and firing all the time
there's power.

> If not, does anyone know the specs for a direct replacement?
> Since it's a holiday weekend, there's no chance to call Ten-Tec until
> Tuesday.

Probably 35 amps,  100 volts or greater PIV. About 1-1/8" square and a
half inch tall. Look at the catalog number 583-MP351 at www.mouser.com
or 625-GBPC3501-E4

> For me, if anything every breaks around the house, it's on a holiday.
> I've had furnaces go out, dishwashers, stoves and any other number of
> appliances go out on Christmas, July 4 or Memorial Day. This must be
> my 2009 holiday breakdown.

You hope this is your only holiday breakdown!