Re: [TenTec] High stability frequency reference oscillator for theOrion

To: "Linwood Davis" <linbdavis@earthlink.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] High stability frequency reference oscillator for theOrion II
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 20:02:31 -0800
Interesting that there is a new part instead of the older Siward unit.
Siward no longer lists the device, so TT must have gone somewhere else.  It
would be interesting to see the warm-up drift plot of the new unit vs. the
old one.

I think more folks would interested if they knew this would work...I wonder
if Abracon could be talked into giving you a free sample to evaluate?  If
you could talk some ham magazine into letting you do an article, they would
sell a bunch of them.  Or maybe with enough 'cajoling' Ten Tec might give
Abracon a call and take this project on with the idea of producing an
optional upgrade that could be added in the field or the factory.  They can
order lots of 100 and get the price down lower.

I envision a small board for the the SMT that would be mounted to the
chassis somehow with stand-offs.  It would have a simple PC-mounted plug
wires that could be soldered to the connection points used by the original
oscillator...all that's needed is output and ground...and a 'fly-lead' to
the +13.6 before the main power relay.  To keep the oscillator running, a
simple voltage regulator like a 7805 with a couple of filter/RF bypass caps
and a fuse would be on the new board.  External power might not be needed
since the unit fully stabilizes in < 2 minutes, which would make things
simpler.  The board would also hold the adjusting pot.  That's not much more
junk than my goofy fan mod!

            Ron  N6IE
       www.N6IE.com