Re: [TenTec] How well is a Scout on SSB?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How well is a Scout on SSB?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:00:38 -0600
On Mon, 2010-01-11 at 19:48 -0600, Stuart Rohre wrote:
> Thanks Jerry!
> Hope you are having a good start to 2010!
> 73,
> Stuart
> K5KVH

Since I haven't a Scout manual or a Scout, I can't tell what the
original parts are, or I could be more specific about useful
replacements. And for tough situations I have (not quite TO220 package
size though) circuits for using FETs as the pass transistors to get the
minimum overhead down to 20 millivolts. At which point a buck/boost
switch regulator can handle any range in input voltages from way below
to way above the output voltage and do it efficiently, if not perfectly
quietly. And there is one for handling the whole radio that has been on
the market for several years.

One basic problem though the Scout objects not much below 12 volts is
that when a 6 cell lead acid battery gets down to 11 volts its over the
hill and failing fast. There isn't much energy left, no matter what
voltage you are willing to use it at.

73, Jerry, K0CQ