Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 plus chirp on 30 meters

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 plus chirp on 30 meters
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:01:15 -1000
> As I recall, all I had to do to cure mine was slightly detune the 20mHz
> oscillator on the logic board.

You can get the 30 meter oscillator locking to the reference by
adjusting the inductor for the 30 meter crystal, or by adjusting the
reference. If you choose the latter, I strongly recommend checking your
displayed transmit frequency against your actual transmit frequency.
Setting the reference oscillator to any frequency other than the correct
frequency (which is either 10 MHz or 20 MHz depending on where you
sample it) will result in incorrect frequency readout. It would be
possible to compensate for incorrect reference oscillator frequency by
adjusting BFO oscillators incorrectly also, but this would only work on
one band. In fact only at one particular frequency on that band would it
be right, though it would probably be "close enough" elsewhere. The
reference oscillator is used as the reference for the crystal
oscillators that select the band, as well as for the VCXO that is the
VFO. Certainly getting to the reference oscillator adjustment is easier
than getting to the band select crystal oscillator adjustments, so make
sure the reference is right first.

DE N6KB