Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Solid Aluminum Main Tuning Dial

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter Solid Aluminum Main Tuning Dial
From: james.viars@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:01:09 +0000 (UTC)

Wow.

Thanks for the lesson in economics.

Now for yours.....

1) I never ASKED for comments or feedback. Re-read the original email. However,
 I understand how this could be mistaken.  But, feedback is not flat-out
telling someone how much an item should cost. I have worked retail, and I have
sold many, many things as a private dealer as well. If you don't like the
price, the simple option is not to buy the item.

2) This was a stated opinion.  Had you looked at the picture in the original
email that I linked to, you can plainly see that the original dial is plastic.
Perhaps the newer Jupiters have metal dials. Mine is an older grey case. The
dial is plastic. (
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee21/Sn1per03/knobcompare.jpg )

3) Considering the cost of raw material, the logistics of transportation,
shipping, and oh, the fact that I am paying to have this machine work done in
the first place, I believe to have priced this fairly. If you don't want to pay
that price, then don't.  There are a lot of factors that I have considered in
pricing these dials. Sure, the machinist turning  these is my Father, but that
does not mean he is free. I assure you, HALF the cost of these dials is labor
cost. That is actually none of anyone's business, but I figured that I would
throw that out there too. Furthermore, I pay shipping, I pay tax, and I pay for
transportation. The end user ONLY pays $50. Nothing else to think about.
Honestly, just based off of past experiences with similar things, I could
charge you $30 and you would only want to pay $20. Some people are never happy.

4) I work with a few engineers. I get their mindset. But this was an offering
for sale, not for consultant work. To whom that applies to, the reason for a
response such as mine was that I was emailed privately several times about
engineering changes. Nothing personal, you just happen to catch the "last
straw."

5) The complaints about the design changes are warranted . You see, this email
service is not the only site that I have received such feedback/pushback. The
design of the knob was not to reinvent it. It was a perceived improvement. If
anything, its a redundant design, simply more robust. Based on your logic,
perhaps I should drive over to TT and tell them what they should do
differently. Most likely that would result in a smile, nod, and a polite
suggestion to leave the office. But here is the difference; I don't like the
dial, so I fixed it. The end user of this dial is absolutely able to finish or
fix it to his or her lik ing. Not going to hurt my feelings. That's how
progress and innovation works. But if you think that you can make a better
dial, with a cheaper price....please, be my guest.

As for the customer being interested and invested, that comes with the
purchase. Let's use your Lamborghini concept. Lots of people are interested in
them, but cannot afford one. Maybe lots of people can afford it, but only chose
to suggest design changes to suit their style. Building on that, which designs
do you accept, and which do you discard? The answer is simple; you stick with
what you have. Ford said it best, "You can have any color you want, as long as
it's black." That is how this dial comes. Aluminum, in the white (unfinished,
as we say in the gun industry), and ready for work.

 My dial is not bling, nor is it super custom. What it does is add a nice heavy
feel to an already outstanding radio. I do not tell customers what they want. I
give them, in this case, two choices. Yes or no. Yes, it is just that
simple. Anger is not the reaction that I was giving. It was getting everyone
back on track. If that is how you perceived it, then very well, although I
offer no apologies. Additionally, don't lecture me on being tolerate to
consumers. Without consumers, my product goes nowhere. I have covered all my
bases. I expected some would not like this dial. I make no bones about that,
and am not even annoyed at that prospect. But in the end, I have two objectives
to meet...I) make a dial that is Identical to the original minus the plastic,
and 2) make a profit. Easy, huh?

With that, you can have your vote back.

73's and good DX

N4EGA