Re: [TenTec] Prices

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Prices
From: "Bob AD5VJ" <ad5vj@ad5vj.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:08:46 -0500
I had an OMNI D and I really loved the sound of the audio and the cw tone it
generated through the speaker, of course it doesn't have the digital
artifacts in it either. It was easy to use and performed its functions
venerably.

I have since owned a TS-2000, PRO, TS-850, MKV FT-1000MP, KENWOOD TS-820,
TENTEC 1208, 4 FROM THE 1300 SERIES, and others. I now own a PROII among
others and a tentec QRP 1300 series radio.

NO FLAMES PLS:

Although I like the tentec line (I was thinking of trading my proii in on a
TENTEC). But the more I research it and the more I think about it, I think
they are overpriced for what they offer in the way of versatility, options
and reliability.

Plus I would be losing a lot of features dollar for dollar.

Just my opinion, but the market has set the price of these radios (meaning
the owners) not the actual functionality or quality of components used.

What TENTEC's do they do well; don't get me wrong, they just don't do enough
compared to current radios of other brands on the market and maintain a
price advantage. I am waiting for them to come way down from their denial
and the ego trip they are on.

That has been an issue with many other American made items such as cars and
appliances, TV's etc. I don't know why we can't but for some reason we
aren't able to compete with functionality, reliability or eye appeal in our
country when it comes to manufacturing.

Collins on the other hand, which I have operated the full KWM line from a
MARS station many moons ago, is not even in the same league as TENTEC. The
setup was smooth and the sounds produced through the speakers, made you want
to sit in front of it and operate for hours. Whether in SSB or CW mode, it
didn't matter.

Collins quality of design, workmanship, construction and components tops
anything we have out today or have had for some time now no matter who is
making it. When you compare the Collins quality, functionality and
reliability to today's market, not just the price, an equivalent radio to an
old Collins would cost well into the 10's of thousands of dollars in today's
market, if not more.

I like TENTEC don't get me wrong, but it can in no way be compared to
Collins in my opinion.

(Dawning my flame retardant suite)

73,
Bob AD5VJ