[TenTec] K3 vs TenTec - opinion

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] K3 vs TenTec - opinion
From: "Zivney, Terry L." <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:28:21 -0400
I agree with Rick that the SWR foldback on the non- Ten-Tec rigs is a real
annoyance.
Motorola and TRW rated their RF transistors to work FB with a 30:1 SWR with no
need for foldback.  A properly designed 100 watt transmitter should not need SWR
foldback to protect the finals.  TenTec amplifiers have current limiting and
adequate
heatsinking to meet device specs.

When I was seriously considering purchasing a K3, I, too, was put off by the
arrogant attitude of the California folks who suggested I travel several hours
invade a stranger's QTH for a weekend  if I wanted to try one out.  Compare
that
with the policy of the Tennessee folks, who let you try one out at home for a
month
to see whether the rig is right for you!

Frankly, Elecraft doesn't trust their customers.  What other interpretation can
I place
upon their warranty statement?      "This warranty covers the original
owner of the Elecraft product as disclosed to Elecraft at the time of order.
Elecraft
products transferred by the purchaser to a third party, either by sale, gift or
other method,
who is not disclosed to Elecraft at the time of original order, are not covered
by this warranty.
If the Elecraft product is being bought indirectly for a third party, the third
party's name and
address must be provided at time of order to ensure warranty coverage."
Contrast that
attitude with TenTec's which lets you fill out the warranty card with the
user's name after
you receive it.  For example, I may have purchased the K3, found I didn't like
it, and
give it to my dad who likes 6m - but he would have no warranty!  And of course
no
money-back guarantee.  Even MFJ gives you that much respect.

Anyway, after I literally traveled half way across the country and used a K3
for over 12
hours of contest activity, I regretfully concluded that the ergonomics of the
K3 didn't make
it for me.  Anyone who has ever used an external tuning knob, whether the
TenTec knob
or the ElekTech with an Icom or Kenwood rig, will find the peewee tuning knob
on the
K3 a sorry substitute for the real thing.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ