Re: [TenTec] Omni C question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni C question
From: Douglas <sparks06524@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 21:15:10 -0700 (PDT)
> Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 01:37:23 -0500
> From: Jeramy Ross <w5xtl@filexiii.org>
> Subject: [TenTec] Omni C question
> To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
>
> I asked the group this a week ago, but it seems to have
> been missed
> due to QRM on the list.  I now have a great Omni C at
> my station here.
>  It's beautiful and in perfect condition, loaded with
> filters, and PTO
> recently rebuilt by Ten-Tec.
>
> Seeing that I love this rig, and it has quickly become my
> favorite rig
> of all time, what do I need to do to make sure this radio
> is with me
> for a very long time?  What maintenance/care issues do
> I need to be
> aware of and look out for?  What parts are in short
> supply that I
> should look at creating a stash of to ensure serviceability
> for many,
> many years into the future?
>
> 73,
> Jeramy / W5XTL

The biggest parts replacement issue for the Omni-C, or for any of the digital
readout Omnis for that matter, is the fact that the processor chip for the
digital display has been discontinued by the maker (Mostek???).

Last I knew, Ten-Tec had discovered a small cache of NOS chips for the display.
However, they were asking over $100/ea for a replacement chip. When their
limited supply is gone, that will be it.

There are venders of discontinued chips. Everyone that I've contacted, even if
they had a chip in stock that I needed, would only sell to me if I made a $500
to $1000 minimum purchase. Many of these folks sell to the U.S. or other
military operation where the cost is an irrelevent factor in keeping equipment
running.

Ironically I find that it's harder to repair older solid state equipment than
it is to repair vintage tube electronics. Many custom or OEM integrated
circuits or even standard production i.c.'s are rapidly discontinued by makers
after relatively brief production runs. For example, the main factor in the
brief production life span of Ten-Tec's original Orion (Orion I) was the
discontinuance of its processor chip.

As others have said, buy a parts rig. I've also got an Omni-C (real name  Omni,
version C) here and a backup Omni, version B rig.

73,

Doug/WA1TUT