Re: [TenTec] 707 Mike

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 707 Mike
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:40:38 -0400
That makes perfect sense to me, as I believe your new microphone has a
dynamic type of microphone element, whereas you indicate your previous
microphone has an electret condenser type element.  Dynamic mics
typically have a substantially lower output signal strength (sometimes
referred to as "open circuit voltage"  or "open circuit sensitivity")
than electret condenser mic elements, which typically run substantially
hotter - and many computer type electret condensers run quite hot.

I would likely boost the hardware gain a bit more, so that I could run
the rig mic gain at about 50 % -  I am under the impression the rig AGC
likes it better that way.   I will leave it to others to explain better
than I why, but that is what seems to work best in my experience.

This is consistent with other applications - I used to test microphones
and write product reviews for use with speech recognition software and
encountered the same thing as you find with your rig.

Hope this helps some.