Re: [TenTec] delta II display problem - anyone?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] delta II display problem - anyone?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 04:50:48 -0500
Board ground failures at the board mounting screws can give odd results.
Since the displays usually are multiplexed, dried up power supply (on
the display logic board) electrolytics can give odd symptoms too. The
first two digits probably are driven by the bandswitch with the rest
driven by the counter which may be a vintage microprocessor, like a
MC6805. For longer life replace those miniature electrolytics with the
highest temperature rated and lowest ESR caps you can buy from Mouser.
www.mouser.com. The binary to 7 segment display driver could be gone,
but check the grounds first and if that IC is in a socket, clean its
pins with DeoxIT. Probably just lifting it partly and reseating it will
have an effect if its dirty socket and IC pins.

73, Jerry, K0CQ