[TenTec] Orion Monitor Problem

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Monitor Problem
From: Rick W <ve7tk@yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:44:29 -0700 (PDT)
I rarely use the MON function on my Orion (565) but decided to give it a  try
recently. Well it doesn't seem to be working the way it should. Here's  the
set-up:

    1) firmware 1.373b5
    2) MON level at 100%
    3) SP (speech processor) off -- more on this.
    4) earphones plugged in
    5) Ten-Tec hand mic
    6) No external Orion software involved

With this set-up I DO NOT hear the monitored signal in the earphones? I  tried a
different set of earphones and a different microphone. Still nothing.

Now if I turn ON the SP the monitored audio increases as I increase the SP in
strength.  It's very light at 1 and quite audible at 6??

I have done a RAM CLEAR and MASTER RESET but nothing has changed. MON  works
well in RTTY (FSK) mode and AM?  It's not great in either SSB or FM?

It is my understanding that the MON is controlled in firmware.  So looking for
how it is controlled on the schematics is not going to be the answer.  So I'm
pretty well at a loss.

How does the microphone audio make it to the earphones in the MON mode?  What
is
the path and where do I start my troubleshooting?

Thoughts  appreciated!  Thanks!

 73,
Rick
VE7TK