Re: [TenTec] OMni VI IF output

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMni VI IF output
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:17:42 -0500
Looking at the VI manual, I'd connect at the cable between the RF and 9
MHz boards. There's a good buffer on the RF board, but a tuned circuit
on the IF board to the 15 KHz filter. It might affect signals on that
coax, way away from 9.000 MHz, so it would be nice to have a 50 ohm
splitter to give some isolation. Though it probably would work by
tapping on that line with a small capacitor, and a transistor buffer,
say a grounded gate J310 which would have a 200 ohm input impedance if
biased just like one of the J310 in the RF or first IF stages of the radio.

MiniCircuits makes suitable splitters and it may be that some of the
CATV splitters will work that low in frequency, especially if they claim
to work at video. That cable is a 50 ohm circuit.

73, Jerry, K0CQ