Re: [TenTec] Headphones for ORION I?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headphones for ORION I?
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 04:09:53 +0000
Jim Brown K9YC wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:41:24 +0000, Dave Heil wrote:

You're playing a game of "mine's bigger than yours".

If you choose to believe that it's certainly your right.

I've just gotten through watching you do it. You've attacked Bob Heil and his products.

I'm using the same ProSet I used in Sierra Leone, Botswana and Tanzania. Must be real crap to have only lasted several hundred thousand QSOs.

The capsules in those expensive Heil mic packages cost well under a buck.

Did you even read what I wrote? Mine hasn't worn out yet. Should I start complaining that it is cheap and still working?

The amplified headphones have RFI problems. I've experienced that first hand at N6RO, and heard complaints from others.

Amplified anything in a plastic box can have RFI problems. I'm a radio amateur. If I have such problems, I fix 'em.

The fact is, you don't know that.  What you know is that he
doesn't have a degree.

If you read my earlier post to Jerry, you will notice that I am NOT playing the degree game. MANY good people working in pro audio lack an EE degree.

No, here's what you actually wrote:

quote
there are many good guys working in those fields who, by
necessity, are self taught. Now a senior citizen, I've run into a fair
number of good ones, who have, through a combination of some formal
education and a lot of self study, turned themselves into very good
engineers. I've also run into a lot of guys who have not, but who
think that, by virtue of their grey hair and job survival, are
experts.
unquote

I've judged him on what I see and hear from him and his company. I stated that neither he nor his company is either well known or respected in the pro audio world. He claims to be a major player in pro mics. The first time I saw a Heil booth at any audio trade show was a year ago.

Bob has a rather extensive dealer network. Many of those dealers have nothing to do with amateur radio. A goodly number are national outlets. I see on the Heil Sound web site a fair number of endorsements from well-known musical artists and recording engineers. I see two nominations from Mix Magazine. I see positive reviews from other audio magazines.

I've known about Bob's high power audio amps, mixers, crossovers and speakers since the late 1960's. Professional musicians I've worked with give it good marks.

I've never seen him or his company at AES Standards Committee meetings.

And?  Is he under some obligation?

Here's the problem: I haven't seen Bob Heil come here and attack you or your business. You have bad mouthed Bob's knowledge and his products and he isn't here to defend himself. You keep carping about Bob's professional products. This is an amateur radio reflector dedicated to things Ten-Tec. I have a number of professional grade microphones. I use none of them with my amateur radio gear.

Why not give Bob Heil the respect you think you are owed by others?

Dave K8MN
06:34:00