Re: [TenTec] swr

To: geraldj@weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] swr
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:54:54 -1000
>  Fundamentally the 43 foot
> vertical is way too short for 160 and needs a BIG loading coil
> containing about 77 feet of wire, and forcing that to be done in the
> tuner will tend to smoke the tuner.

You are correct that a 43 foot radiator is way to short to be resonant
on 160 meters, and either an added length of wire or an  inductance can
compensate for the capacitive reactance to make it a non-reactive,
resonant  load. I do not think that you are correct to say that a
inductive reactance. Because of the coupling (mutual inductance) of the
multiple turns of the coil, the necessary inductive reactance will be
had with less than 77 feet of wire. If it is not wrapped into a coil,
then 77 feet would be about what you would need.

DE N6KB