[TenTec] Subject: Original Orion Firmware

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Subject: Original Orion Firmware
From: "Vincent Bond" <k7na@roadrunner.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:43:34 -0700
John:
    I am currently using 2.062a on my Orion. I tried 2.063Xg but I did not find
the band scope useful in that presentation. I much prefer the older iteration
of the band scope with the calibration extending our past 30 kHz on either side
to find and locate signals.
     However, with regard to 2.062a, I find the following:

1. The NR is unusable when operating the rig with the RF gain reduced and the
AF gain maximized, as I have for years on both the Orion and the Omni 6+. I
would prefer a better use of NR or if not available, audio peak filtering
similar to the Omni 6+. I did find the NR in 1.372 to be useful, however, when
operating at lower RF gain levels.

2. The DSP NB only seems to work on level 9 on my rig. Anything less than that
setting does absolutely nothing on my rcvr.

3. When using the subrcvr on LSB or USB mode, the sidetone on CW in the primary
rcvr sounds "clicky" and un-natural. It improves if the subrcvr is in the AM or
CW modes. However, if the subrcvr is in the AM mode on 2.062a, the primary rcvr
mutes when hitting the Tune button, and will not return to a receive condition
until the subrcvr is in the AM or CW modes. This has been a well known bug.

4. The speech processing does not become evident to me until  the processor is
turned to level 4 or above. All settings below that seem to be unprocessed.

     Just my $.02 worth.

Vince K7NA

Message: 2