Re: [TenTec] Looking for "cheap" rig or honest and patient ham

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looking for "cheap" rig or honest and patient ham
From: Steve Mercure <w5en@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 12:22:57 -0500
No disrespect intended but for a first rig I'm not certain a QRP rig is the way
to go.  I have operated many different qrp stations including some of the fine
gear from Small Wonder and Oak Hill but I've been a ham and operated CW for
many years now.

As a first rig I would think an Omni C or 546 would be excellent.  In fact my
primary radio right now is a 546, although sadly Ten Tec is running out of
parts for that fine line of equipment.   I have seen IC-718 in that price range
at hamfests, especially if they do not have the DSP unit, which in my opinion
is a waste in that radio.  The last TS 830 that I purchased cost $350 and that
is one fine CW rig, especially if you can find one with the 500 hz filter.

Good Luck!

73 de W5EN Steve