Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 Meter lamps?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 Meter lamps?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 17:36:47 -0500
I've checked the downloaded manual. The lamps appear to be in series and
are run off the 28 volt control supply through a 20 ohm 1/2 watt
resistor. The maximum current (dissipating 1/2 watt) through that
resistor is 158 milliamps which would give a voltage drop of 3.16 volts.
Its a surge limiting resistor and probably the lamp current is more like
80 or 100 ma. And 14 volt rating. But without knowing the size and base
of the lamp I'd be speculating too much to guess at a number like a 756
or 1813 if the size of a 47 or 44. There are some other 14 volt lamps
with more light output but they draw more current than the 20 ohm
resistor can survive but would likely be found at most truck stops being
used in marker lamps. If the package is right for these lamps I'd go for
the 756 because its rated at 15,000 hours while the 1813 is rated for
1000 hours. That package is T3-1/4 with a single connection bayonet
base. That's just over 3/8" diameter for the bulb, actually 3.25
eighths, really close to 10mm.

With the lamps in series, if one opens both go dark.

Seems to me we've thrashed these lamps on this forum before.

73, Jerry, K0CQ