Re: [TenTec] Orion and Heil Proset QuietPhone Solution

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and Heil Proset QuietPhone Solution
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:41:34 -0400
I was remiss in not suggesting a headphone amp.   I have recently just
built two of the Ramsey headphone amp kits - I got one free because they
sent the wrong one for my order, and then sent the right one and said to
keep the other, so I cannot complain.

For others who are interested, there are several manufacturers of these
little inexpensive headphone amps, such as Behringer, Rolls, Sampson,
ART, PreSonus, Furhman, NADY, and more - ranging in price
from   $29 to $120 (Typically) and higher if you want to overdo it.

Omni VII fans who do not like the mic monitor function on the rig might
like the models that are designed to let you monitor your microphone
input as well as use headphones to  monitor the resulting mix -
musicians us these to listen to themselves in the mix.

For example, the Rolls PM50s mixes a stereo line-level Monitor signal
with a mic level XLR microphone signal to a set of headphones or
earphones.   It has a monitor level control, mic level control, mic pass
through XLR jacks, two headphone output jacks, and a stereo TRS 1/4"
monitor input jack.   Possible users are drummers who need to hear a
click track, choir singers who need to hear themselves, etc., and ham
radio operators who like to hear themselves when they have sound
reducing headphones on.

        http://tinyurl.com/2f3bl9c

All of these little headphone amps are available at local music stores,
large box and internet vendors such as Sweetwater.com,  fullcompass.com,
BSWUSA.com,  Musiciansfriend.com,  zzounds.com,  and all the other ones.

The Ramsey Kits are here:

        http://tinyurl.com/26ukfq6

They seem to work fine and you get that heady self-satisfaction that
comes with building a kit.