[TenTec] Eagle Inputs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Eagle Inputs
From: "Henry, John" <jhenry@tentec.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 17:10:37 -0400
places.....

I've been watching a lot of the conversations going on. Mainly from the
standpoint of requests to add functionality A to the Eagle, add
functionality B to the Eagle. Where feasible within the HW platform of the
Eagle, we are reviewing the many requests. Trying to determine which
requests can actually be achieved with the given hardware software
architecture of the Eagle. There are some features that we will be able to
add, however, there are some features that we will not be able to provide.
Some are due to hardware limitations, some are due to price point
considerations, some are due to software execution architecture limitations.
Knowing full well that some we may not be able to provide are in other
manufacturers rigs or in other TenTec rigs.

I'll take a few of feature requests, case in point. I'll mention the item,
and what is requested as far as I understand it, and then discuss that item.

CW Practice. As I understand it, people want to be able to practice CW
without transmitting. Actually, this is something that is very simple within
the DSP, requires no additional HW change or mod. So, this is a candidate
for a future release. Set PWR to 0, and start hitting your paddle or keyer
(or fist)

CW QSK Delay. As I understand it, people want to be able to turn off a
certain amount of RX between sending CW characters. Totally understandable,
and if possible to do so completely within the HW platform we have, then it
will be offered. This is something that can be taken care of totally within
DSP. The DSP can add xxus to yyseconds of time after Transmit cycle is
complete, before it would allow any RX audio to be played back. As this cat
was let out of the bag, this will be a feature in an upcoming release, not
months but weeks, maybe a day or so. The firmware is with beta testers and
being put into the production rigs final check out now, and if all of the
flags go green, I'll release it to the internet in a day or so (well, not on
a Friday, never release firmware on Friday)

External T/R Delay. As I understand it, several people want to be able to
turn off the fast T/R switching that the Eagle has, and help "save" their
amplifier. Similar to what I implemented in the OMNI-VII. Most amps that are
out there want to have 5-10-15ms from the time the T line is thrown, to the
time that RF is generated. The ACC1 connector on the back of the Eagle
provides a line that follows T, then around 17ms later RF is generated. This
covers a huge majority of the amps on the market from getting into a point
where they would be damaged. Now, what is this T line I'm talking about on
the ACC1 connector. This is the REAL internal T line for determining if the
rig is in transmit or receive. The timing of this line cannot be changed as
it follows the operational hardwares' internal state. This means I won't be
able to provide an option for an external T/R delay. To do so would require
more hardware internal. However, there are solutions that are available on
the market today of connecting up to that T line and providing this feature.
Simple relay delay circuits. So, for now, I'd have to say look and see what
is available, what you really require, and make it fit. We did look at how
to provide this delay built in, but it is unfortunately stuck where it is
right now.

9MHz IF Output. If feasible in the HW, it will be offered, or an instruction
on how to get it will be written and posted. Presently, the instructions I
posted on how to get the rx antenna from the lowpass can be used as an input
to a panadaptor, even the $139 cheapo unit from China works great with this
output, as does QS1R, etc. So for current customers with current HW, you
would be able to use this set of instructions and connect your rig, similar
to how N4PY has instructed people to use on the OMNI-VII. This specific mod
is requested and usable by so many customers, that time was taken to work
out how to do it and provide a known tested method on its use.

The other thing I do want to mention, this radio has a certain hardware set
that provides a certain set of functions. If more functionality is required
by the operator, then this radio may not be the rig for you. Maybe the
OMNI-VII or the Orion II will satisfy your needs more.

Realize that the Eagle does hit a certain price class rig, with unheralded
performance. To add certain hardware based features or software based
features that would require faster execution cores or memory, well, we would
just be growing the Eagle to equal the OMNI-VII in price.

I don't want anyone to take any of the above as an attack or affront, it is
merely indicating a few things.
1 - We are listening, and we are providing what can be provided without
increasing cost.
2 - It is a fixed price, so, additional hardware built into it will either
mean TenTec loses money on it, or the future customers will have to pay
more.

Either way, enjoy the Eagle, it was fun to make, test, and now finally place
into the hands of hams who want this type of receiver performance at this
price.

73, KI4JPL
John Henry
TenTec Engineering