Re: [TenTec] Bird Termaline 50 Ohm load - 82A - Need adapter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Bird Termaline 50 Ohm load - 82A - Need adapter
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 10:57:10 -0600
The thread is probably 1-1/8"-18 and there probably is a ring from a
multi pin military connector that will fit. Look at Amphenol series 97
shell size 18 (MIL-C-5015 style). You could start with a 97-60-20(621)
(Mouser catalog number 654-976018621). Blow a 5/8"-27 threaded hole in
the middle, then turn from brass rod or assemble from bits of hobby shop
tubing a center pin adapter for a UHF or type N barrel. It might be
handier to use the ring from a straight plug. That's what I did adapting
an LC connector on another dummy load to N.

But you will need to measure the thread pitch carefully to be sure.

I dug out a 1971 Bird catalog, and under adapters it shows a part number
8110-186 described as "CA-8B Male Coplanar to Femals N Connector (used
on certain obsolete models)" It also shows a number 4240-180 described
as a "Male Coplanar to QC Receptacle, to be used with any QC connector."
Prices in 1971, 8110-186 was $10 and 4240-180 was $35.

I probably have MIL-C-5105 parts, but I'm sure I don't have those Bird
connectors to check the threads or to have either of those adapters.

Rooting further on line, I found a Bird manual for a similar load where
they state the thread is 1-1/8-18 which matches the MIL-C-5105 thread.
There they called the adapter a CA-8B part number 811186.
http://www.bird-technologies.com/resources/discontinued/bec_manuals/884-463.pdf

http://www.bird-technologies.com/resource/item-754c25b1-8309-4e3b-be2f-98240a9ff67c.aspx

has a list of obsolete manuals, but doesn't include the 82A in that list.

Bird may have been the only source for that adapter and I have no idea
today. They still show the coplaner to QC adapter at:
http://birdtechnologies.thomasnet.com/item/accessories-adapters/qc-adapters/4240-180?&bc=100|1019|1032|3001115|3001080

73, Jerry, K0CQ