Re: [TenTec] Power Supply Omni 6

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Power Supply Omni 6
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:00:09 -0600
The critical features of that Airpax breaker are its current rating and
the fact it has no extra time delay. That its the fastest available.
Hence pure magnetic, no hydraulic or thermal time delay. Airfax makes or
made the same characteristics in several different packages. The most
inexpensive surplus sources of similar breakers were sold out in hours
of their mention on this forum.

Researching time delays is detail, I found the Buss MTC-16 standard fuse
is as fast as the Airpax breaker for carrying 20 amps. A fuse is always
rated to carry 125% indefinitely so it carries 20 amps, but trips faster
at an overload. I have run my Corsair II on my homebrew high efficiency
FET regulated 32 amp station supply for years, and I have blown a few
fuses while tuning with full power and a manual tuner.

The other thing you need with a big station supply is an external power
relay for the Tentec since its front panel switch can't carry the full
20 amp DC load. I used an automotive 30 amp cube relay, typically sold
for under $4 or 5 at auto stores, or under $3 from Mouser. I wired the
switch to the coil through a diode to act as a reversed polarity
protector also and doubled that with a back biased diode across the coil
which also significantly reduces inductive kick that could cause the
front panel switch contacts to arc on opening. When used with a tentec
supply and cable, the radio's front panel switch is on the line side
(120 volts AC) of the power supply.

73, Jerry, K0CQ