Re: [TenTec] best power supply for Orion II and other items

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] best power supply for Orion II and other items
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:47:46 -0500
The 35 amp linear Astron supplies used a floating output so they could be
used with either positive or negative ground applications.  For our use, the
negative post of the Astron should be grounded to the unit's
cabinet/chassis.  I think the Astron supply is good but if the negative
output post is not grounded to the cabinet/chassis then RF energy gets into
the regulator circuitry...

Follows my correspondence with Astron some years ago:
Once upon a time some Astron power supplies had a floating output, neither
positive nor negative was connected to the chassis.  For laboratory work,
this was just fine.  But with radio transmitters, problems sometimes arose
because RF energy could enter through the negative post and go directly to
the voltage regulator circuitry.

Astron became aware of this and suggested grounding the negative post to the
chassis.  I did it by taking the post out, removing the insulators, cleaning
paint from around the hole and reinstalling the post with no insulation.
Many reported they had never had a problem with their Astrons but I did and
apparently it was common.  Below is my correspondence with Astron: