Re: [TenTec] best power supply for Orion II and other items

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] best power supply for Orion II and other items
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:06:09 -0600

On 11/21/2010 6:20 PM, Richards wrote:
> Gentlemen -
>
> 1)  How I know if RF from my Omni VII was causing problems with my
> Astron RS-35M linear type power supply ?  Would it show up as an
> anomalous readout on one or both meters?

Probably as a voltage change, on the internal meter or an external
meter. But the time constant may to so short it won't show on a meter.

   What if I had the model
> without any meters - how would one tell ?
>
> 2)  Could RF be getting into it from other gear not even powered by it -
> say, by a 2 meter mobile used in the shack as a base rig for local
> repeater work?

Yes.

> 3)  How could one tell if a "current"  (pun intended)  Model RX-35M is
> grounded as described ?   Is there an easy to identify spot on the power
> supply's schematic diagram ?  (I am a rookie at this, but might be able
> to trace it with some local assistance or description here...)  Or would
> one just contact Astron and ask ?  (...which is easy enough, but I am
> trying to learn to use what info is already at hand...)

With a voltmeter in hand, unhook your loads. Apply line power and turn
the supply on. If you find voltage between the negative output and the
case, its not grounded. You could hook any 12 volt lamp between positive
output and case to make that voltage really appear between the floating
negative and the case.

I'm not a great fan of Astron supplies because in my opinion they used
too small a value for the emitter resistors that are supposed to force
current sharing and so the gaggle of pass transistors don't share well
and progressively fry. When the last one burns open, then you need a
whole set, and sometimes the heatsink compound for the pass transistors
isn't applied correctly. They have used a venerable first generation
voltage regulator IC chip for a long time that doesn't protect the pass
transistors from excess heat that the last two decades of three terminal
voltage regulators have included.

73, Jerry, K0CQ